BULLETIN: SUSPENSION OF U3A ACTIVITIES
In the light of the evolving COVID-19 pandemic, and taking into account the age of the U3A Corangamite membership, the Committee met today and on the basis of the most recent medical advice, it was decided unanimously to suspend with immediate effect all U3A activities until further notice.
The Committee has also decided it will review this developing situation on a monthly basis and it is intended that update bulletins for members will follow from the Committee on a regular basis. Accordingly there will be no formal member newsletter for April.
The Committee acknowledges that this suspension will cause some disappointment and that the lack of social interaction could be a cause of concern for some members. Given this, the Committee would like to encourage members to keep their brain active with other low-key cerebral pursuits such as reading and gardening and the Committee is giving some thought to investigating some suitable ‘Apps’ that might be of use to members during this period; more details to follow in due course.
However, should any member wish to talk through any issues mentioned here, they can do so by calling either U3A Secretary David Mernagh on 0429 951 643 or myself on 0439 079 098. Keep well, keep safe and keep smiling!
Ten ways to reduce your risk of COVID-19
- Wash hands often with soap and running water, for at least 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel or hand dryer
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you do
- not have a tissue cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow
- Isolate yourself at home if you feel sick. If you take medication ensure you have
- adequate supplies
- Phone your GP first if you need medical attention; they will tell you what to do
- Continue healthy habits: exercise, drink water and get plenty of sleep
- Do not wear a face mask if you are well
- If you can, buy an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with over 60 per cent alcohol
- Get the flu shot (available in April)
- Do not shake hands
Where can you get more information?
For current Victorian updates go to https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/novelcoronavirus
President, U3A Corangamite